Once-A-Year Visit

 photo zan1718_zps964841e9.jpg
My yearly visit to a beautiful Mediterranean style garden in the neighborhood.  I never get tired of seeing it.  

This plant is commonly called Purple Potato Vine around here, though it's more of an arching shrub--Solanum...something--loaded with flowers in November.
 photo zan1656_zpscea7989f.jpg
Sedum 'Coppertone' there at the base of the wall. 
 photo zan1659_zps247bbbae.jpg

Duranta in the shade of Schinus molles
 photo zan1722_zps2759b953.jpg
Epidendrum 
 photo zan1714_zps2604c9e5.jpg
Crassula 'Campfire', an Iris, 'Fred Ives' Graptoveria, against a backdrop of variegated Duranta erecta (I think).
 photo zan1711_zps507662f3.jpg
Love that lantern...
 photo zan1698_zpse3e78c9e.jpg
I could not figure out what this plant was...Agave colimana...or even a Hesperaloe?  I love the filaments.  
 photo zan1694_zpsf9655f14.jpg

 photo zan1692_zpseb168e97.jpg

 photo zan1696_zps23a581da.jpg
 Aeonium on the right, Oscularia deltoides in the bust/pot. 
 photo zan1704_zps65b09292.jpg
A mature Pomegranate tree, probably 'Wonderful', at least thirty years old, if not older.  The leaves are turning gold and preparing to drop, but slowly, slowly.
 photo zan1662_zps86c1caac.jpg
Out of focus Tagetes lemoni in the foreground, dark, leathery-leafed Toyon in the middle, Schinus molle behind the Toyon, and the dessicated hills beyond. 
 photo zan1676_zps57e99adc.jpg
Agave attenuata is as common in Southern California as Rosa 'Iceberg', and as indispensable.
 photo zan1661_zps803dd1d0.jpg
Copper Spoons, Kalanchoe orgyalis.  Growing in dappled shade, this particular plant is more purple than coppery.  
 photo zan1685_zps19e1a6e3.jpg  
A creature has been at the last remaining Pomegranates.
 photo zan1664_zpsbff4802c.jpg

 photo zan1670_zpsa14507aa.jpg

Comments

  1. Beautiful, I have never seen a real pomegranate tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being along on your annual Mediterranean cruise! Thanks again for the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty garden! I fell in love with Agave attenuata when I was in San Francisco for the Fling. I don't know why, I just think it's a cool plant. I love filaments too. They're the main reason I bought a 'Color Guard' Yucca.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good example of California at its best. Thanks for sharing your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Er, I already commented, but something went wacky when I hit publish...SO:
    What a lovely metal void screen. The plants are pretty darn nice as well. I'm fascinated by your closeups of the thready Hesperaloe(?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks, you make me see this garden in a whole new way . . . . . AZ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.