Papaver 'Drama Queen' Makes Another Entrance

Photobucket
Two more poppy flowers appeared yesterday, back, way back, in the Japanese Maple bed by the Koi pond.  For balance I hung on carefully to the Maple's slender trunk, stepped over the Coprosmas and volunteer Impatiens, over the Corsican Hellebore that did finally grow a few new leaves, around the Geraniums madeirense and 'Rozanne', to reach a place where I could photograph the poppy flowers that rose like tropical birds out of dark jungle. 
Photobucket
Photobucket
The first poppy flower of a few days ago has morphed into the distinctive globular poppy seed pod:
Photobucket
Crimson meets violet-fading-to-burgundy.
Photobucket

Photobucket
'Drama Queen' is giving the Epiphyllums a run for their money in the race to gaudy. 
Photobucket  
The poppy may be ephemeral, but the entertainment value has been considerable.   And that's it for May, 2012.

Comments

  1. They're both stunning blooms but my vote goes to the poppy, love it! And isn't it funny how sometimes the best flowering happens on the most awkward of places? Glad you managed to take pics of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a stunning poppy. Do they self seed, or as if often the case with the prize varieties, do you need to take a bit more care to grow them from seed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really a unique poppy! If I can find a spot for my existing couple (now languishing in shade) I may consider adding this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow the captcha (to prove I'm not a robot) is almost impossible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flowers! I love poppies too, even though they don't last. Their transience keeps them from being boring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live inland from you and have the hardest time getting any blooms before the poppy plant withers and dries up. I get my seedling plants from Roger's. What are your secrets to having such beautiful blooms?
    Gorgeous Epi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That poppy is breathtaking. Never saw it before.
    Such beautiful photo's!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mark and Gaz, usually my flowers are better behaved, but less glamorous.
    @Spiky, I have no clue, never grew one before.
    @Alan, I recommend it, and sorry about the captcha. I often can't read them myself.
    @spurge, they are certainly not boring, especially when they fall over and I have to crawl around things to see them.
    @Annette, I did morning sun/afternoon shade because I planted it so late in the year, and yes, it was from Roger's!
    @Marijke, I haven't seen it before either, and what an amazing color it is. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.