The Neighbor's Bougie


The neighbors on the north side of our property had free run of what became our property for something like 35 years. Their kids played in the mud here when it rained. Their horse grazed here before it tragically burned to death in a wildfire in the 1960's. The husband used this land for a driving range. I know this last fact because in my gardening I found lots of old golf balls.

The property was eventually built on, we bought it, and the neighbors lost their extra space and privacy. So they started letting things grow on the south side of their house, as a screen. One thing they let grow was a Bougainvillea, which now after 10 years has reached decent size and considerable glory.



Sadly for them, they can't see it. It's not visible from the street, either. All the flowers are on the south-facing side, which makes this waterfall of searing magenta all mine. To give you some idea of the size of this plant, that small fence at the bottom of this picture is six feet (1.8 meters) tall:


I've gotten a freebie here: I don't have to take care of it. I don't have to water it. (Though apparently neither do the neighbors). Though I wonder how long the glory will last, I'll enjoy it while I can. How many gifts does anyone get in life that are this wonderful?

Comments