Saliva pulchella x involucrata

You know it's my garden because of the dog hair.  
 
I've made progress on the slope planting.  It's getting there.  I suddenly realized while planting this afternoon how wonderful it is to have moist spots every 18" apart, all over the slope.  The spots made moist by the drip irrigation lines are ready to plant, easy to dig, and easy to spot, because of course, weeds are sprouting wherever it is damp.  I'll post photos at completion, though the plants are small and hard to see.   I was frustrated and discouraged at first, but it seems to be not so bad...

In the mean time, Salvia pulchella x involucrata from Strybing Arboretum via Annie's Annuals, has finally decided to bloom after growing but looking wretched all of spring and summer.  Bare stems, yellowed, bug-chewed, and battered leaves, pretty flower with intensely saturated color.  Perhaps the plant will improve this winter with a touch of fertilizer.
 photo athome4900_zpsb10dde43.jpg
There, just focus on the flowers.  Thaaat's better.
 photo athome4813_zpsf6a9d604.jpg

Across the path from Salvia p x i, Aloe thraskii presented a second flower stalk...
 photo athome4902_zps14679199.jpg
...and rose 'Secret Garden Musk Climber' broadcast a spicy perfume in the last sliver of late afternoon light.
 photo athome4913_zpsebcc8f9b.jpg

Comments

  1. The Salvia looks green and healthy dear Hoover, nice to have more flower stalks on the Aloe and the rose looks delightful in the late afternoon light. Lovely photos!
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dianne! The light in late afternoon makes everything look better.

      Delete
  2. In the past I had that Salvia pulch. 'Involucrata' too, but it always looked the same as your plant now, many yellow leaves, only a few flowers. I thought it was due to our wet and cold climate, we have to keep this kind of plants in pots and overwinter them in a heated greenhouse or in the basement. Your rose 'Secret Garden Musk climber' is lovely, especially on this picture with the sun on it's petals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither wet nor cold here, so that's not the problem! I'll give it some fertilizer and see if that helps.

      Delete
  3. Tell me all about how wretched something looks and then show me a photo that makes it look fabulous...you are such a tease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did take some uglier photos, really I did, but was too embarrassed to post them.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're making progress with your slope. The cooler weather and the ease of planting in newly dug soil have made my own work in my front yard easier too - I love fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your project looks far more difficult than mine. Removing lawn and all that digging is an ordeal.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.