Blooming Agave 'Blue Glow' Update & Legacies

 photo glow3841_zpsc9e65cb9.jpg
The flowers are opening now.  I've been taking pollen and touching up a nearby blooming Manfreda in hopes of ending up with a Blue Mangave Group.
 photo glow3836_zpsde3aab5e.jpg
One of the axial rosettes is sending up a bloom stem as well.
 photo glow3837_zps9fdb56be.jpg
I read somewhere that one can root axial rosettes from an Agave--they can eventually send down roots--removing the leaves below those rosettes can aid in the process.  Perhaps I'll try that on the rosettes that do not bloom.

The bloom stem has hundreds if not more than a thousand individual flowers.
 photo glow3839_zps460b5145.jpg
The petals are a greeny-yellow.  Everything else about the flower is burgundy.
 photo glowf3841_zps26ea20a4.jpg

 photo glow3843_zps5ab9dd55.jpg
I think my plant is looking better than the other 'Blue Glow' Agaves I've seen in bloom.  Mine was long-established--perhaps that means I'll get some viable seed.  It would be interesting to see what the seed produces.  A legacy of a beautiful plant. 

Nearby some seedling roses have appeared.  I was sure they were not sprouting 'Dr. Huey' rootstock, and it seems I am correct, as the little plants a few inches tall have flower buds. 'Dr. Huey' only produces flowers on growth at least one year old.  A legacy of a rat that enjoyed rose hips and spread the seeds around. 
 photo glow3844_zpsbbfee681.jpg
I wonder if I'll get any little seedling rose worth keeping.  'Jubilee Celebration' is certainly that--the plants I moved last year are doing wonderfully--much better than they did in their old location.  I often wonder if that is Hoover's legacy--the spot they are in was where he loved to take a pee.
 photo glow3828_zpse373e0e2.jpg
Thanks for the legacy, buddy-boy.


Comments

  1. That agave bloom is stunning, The individual flowers are bigger than I thought.

    The blue mangave would be a great addition, if you get any seeds I know someone in the UK that would love to try them as well ;)

    I have heard of rooting axial rosettes, the problem is that they often flower the same time as the parent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it legal to send agave/mangave seeds to the UK? I'd be happy to send some to that person if it is.

      Delete
    2. On the other BGs I saw blooming, not all of the axial rosettes bloomed. The one I saw the other day, the main rosette looks to be dying and the axials growing and looking great, as A. stricta does.

      Delete
    3. Keeping fingers crossed that not all bllom and you will have some left to move.

      And yes no problem to send seeds to UK, especially home grown so to speak.

      Delete
    4. If I get any seeds, I'll keep your friend in mind. :)

      Delete
  2. Glad some 'Blue Glow' agaves were substituted into a recent landscape, within eye-shot of a Hoover Drive, oddly enough. Yours' are gorgeous, and the A. attentuata influence in that agave shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how they will fare in your harsher climate. Partial shade? They can sunburn here when temps reach 100, and then there's your winter... Hoover Drive, that's nice! :)

      Delete
    2. I forgot to mention that Hoover Drive is in Boulder City NV (Hoover Dam)...uh oh on the 100F sunburn!! (I lose count of how many times / summer it hits 100 and even 110-115F in that area). The wholesale nursery out of Phoenix insisted they can take the summers and winters, so we'll see!

      Delete
  3. I love my 'Blue Glow' for its foliage and structure but, after seeing your flower spike, I have to say that I'm anxious to see it in bloom too. I should probably take it out of the pot it's in, which is surely stunting its growth. Thanks for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are way happier in the ground. Quite a big root system!

      Delete
  4. That is so funny I have been going the same. I've been trying to cross A. vilmoriniana and Manfeda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I hope we both get some results, though you are far more likely to. And you will soon be chin-deep in vilmoriniana bulbils...

      Delete
  5. Beautiful 'Jubilee Celebration' rose, but I think your agaves in the garden are so interesting, we cannot grow these outside. The flower spike of the Blue Glow is just gorgeous, and the colours burgundy with greeny yellow on the stunning pictures, great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Agaves in the ground are easy here--I'm hopeless with potted plants.

      Delete
  6. A Blue Mangave group! Sign me up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sans the blue makeup and the trip to Vegas, too. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.