Thou'st Made The World Too Beautiful This Year

Madrone

O world, I cannot hold thee close enough!
Thy winds, thy wide grey skies!
Thy mists that roll and rise!

Photobucket
Thy woods, this autumn day, that ache and sag
And all but cry with colour!

Photobucket

 That gaunt crag
To crush! To lift the lean of that black bluff!
World, World, I cannot get thee close enough!

Quercus agrifolia
Long have I known a glory in it all,
But never knew I this;
Here such a passion is
As stretcheth me apart. 

Quercus suber
Lord, I do fear
Thou'st made the world too beautiful this year.
My soul is all but out of me, let fall
No burning leaf; prithee, let no bird call


-- Edna St. Vincent Millay
 
 
 

Comments

  1. Well done! I love the big tree shots -- just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to Johnny Cash's "Hurt" as I read this with your imagery...sure doesn't go with my scene outside. Bittersweet autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the drama of this short poem and your pictures work beautifully with the words. I also looked back through the last post. 'Belinda's Dream' is a gorgeous rose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strangely, that such passion and beauty made me feel warm and calm. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful poem Hoover. And such beautiful autumn photo's. I love the bark of the tree on your last photo. Can you tell me the name this tree? I keep my fingers crossed for the people in your country who are dealing with the monster storm. Have a wonderful day Hoover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all hope the Sandy storm is not as bad as expected.

      That last tree is Quercus suber, the Cork Oak. The bark is even more beautiful in person! I love that Oak.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.