(Nearly) Wordless Wednesday

Rosa 'Brass Band'
Photobucket

I drove out yesterday to get another shot of this hellstrip, only to see the Aloes were blooming.  Surprise!
Photobucket

The Aloes are blooming at home, too.  This one is off and on, summer or winter.  I can't remember the species at the moment.  It starts with an "m":
Photobucket

Cameronii waking up after resting all summer:
Photobucket

And maybe-Ferox continues to progress.  We're expecting 60-80 mph winds in the next day or two.  I hope the still-soft flower stems don't snap off.   
Photobucket

Photobucket


The tippy-tops of the Agave towers are finally opening, so open blooms may be imminent .   These guys, I think, can survive the wind.   I know the roses will not. 
Photobucket

Comments

  1. Such a beautiful rose and the aloes are also lovely. I am trying to find an aloe which has orange/apricot flowers, no luck so far.
    Happy gardening my friend!
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that hellstrip! Looks so alive and verdant, yet, spiky. I hope your Santa Ana (and our resultant cold wave) are not as bad as forecast. Great photos, words or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dianne, here's a suggestion, google on "an introduction to aloe flowers davesgarden"; there will be 4 or 5 articles that survey a LOT of different aloe flowers...hopefully that will help you find one you like!

    Desert, I like that hellstrip a lot too, though I think long term it might be a problem as those Aloes (arborescens, I think) grow taller and taller as they do here. I would have gone with an aloe that will stay shorter, but I tend to take the long term view, and not everyone needs to do that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your advice dear Hoover. :-)
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoov, the wind has already started here in Napa Valley, I noticed it kicking up around 10ish this morning..after a classic 2 days of tule fog.Damn, I love those blooms-it's about time for me to head up to UC Berkeley botanical garden for the winter Aloe viewing..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those aloes are breathtaking. I put aloes out by the street in front of our house, and they were pretty for a few years, until they got mites. I like nothing better than blooming aloes in the hellstrip. Thanks for the pick-me-up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.