Anagallis monelli: It's BLUE!

Photobucket

I had this plant a few years back, and it died. It grew to about 8" tall and 20" wide. I've been on the lookout for it locally ever since and finally bought a couple at the Fullerton Green Scene plant sale/show.

Photobucket

Oh that glorious, electric, no-purple-in-it-anywhere blue. Happy to have it back! It is in the same genus as a weed that plagues this area, Anagallis arvensis. A. arvensis is a prolific seeder, but my original plant produced no seedlings, however much I longed for them.

Calflora describes A. monelli as a perennial, so how did I kill it? No clue, no matter. The replacements were inexpensive. It's just a little plant that doesn't take up much room, and forms no woody structure. Perhaps it's just a biennial, or an annual. Fine, whatever. What matters is that incredible blue.

Photobucket

Comments

  1. Love this plant. It is now reseeding in my garden. Pimpernel on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reseeding? Perennial? I'll take it either way. Such a good plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grrrr Dustin, I'm envious!

    Yes indeed, Denise, I wish I had them all over--like the weedy species--instead of the weed species...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.